Help! One of my fields disappeared!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Olivier Ragasol
    Participant

Hello!

It’s a disaster, I broke almost everything…

When I closed my database after hours of adding Saved Searches, TapForms freezed. So I forced it to quit, and then… one the fields had altogether disappeared. It’s the field Domaine, which I created in order to save searches. As a result, all the searches I had saved and neatly organized into files and subfiles are still there, but they’re empty!!

The synced version I have one the iPhone is intact. I’ve backed it up just in case, but oddly the copy weighs only 196,5 megabytes, whereas the original is 2 gigabytes. I’m not sure whether it’s trustworthy.

Unfortunately, I have no other recent version.

What should I do, then? Try to replace the corrupt (?) file on the Mac by the clean (?) version from the iPhone?

Or is there a way I can recover just the lost “Domaine” field and my Saved searches reappear? I saw it was possible to Recover deleted items (Files menu): it this the solution?

June 22, 2024 at 6:35 AM #50829

Olivier Ragasol
    Participant

Hello! It’s a disaster, I broke almost everything… When I closed my database after hours of adding Saved Searches, TapForms freezed. So I forced it to quit, and then… one the fields had altogether disappeared. It’s the field Domaine, which I created in order to save searches. As a result, all the searches I had saved and neatly organized into files and subfiles are still there, but they’re empty!! The synced version I have one the iPhone is intact. I’ve backed it up just in case, but oddly the copy weighs only 196,5 megabytes, whereas the original is 2 gigabytes. I’m not sure whether it’s trustworthy. Unfortunately, I have no other recent version. What should I do, then? Try to replace the corrupt (?) file on the Mac by the clean (?) version from the iPhone? Or is there a way I can recover just the lost “Domaine” field and my Saved searches reappear? I saw it was possible to Recover deleted items (Files menu): it this the solution?

My fear is that the clean iOS version of the database will be replaced by the MacOs version through sync, so for the time being I won’t touch anything anymore…

I don’t know if it’s safe to send the iOS version to the Mac, either.

June 24, 2024 at 1:43 PM #50839

Brendan
    Keymaster

Sorry, I missed seeing your post.

Yes, try the Recover Deleted items function from the File menu. Find your field. Select it, then click the Recover button.

When it’s been recovered, quit Tap Forms and re-launch it.

You should see your field restored and the Saved Searches should work again.

As long as you didn’t do anything else such as compacting the database, which would purge the deleted field.

June 25, 2024 at 7:00 AM #50841

Olivier Ragasol
    Participant

Thanks very much for your reply, Brendan.

I’ll try the recovering function without further ado.

So you don’t think the file is corrupted?

June 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM #50842

Olivier Ragasol
    Participant

Done! The “domains” are back!! And accordingly the Saved Searches are functional again.

At first, I had the wheel of death spinning, but I let it go and eventually the field was recovered.

Actually, there were two fields missing…

June 25, 2024 at 8:58 AM #50843

Olivier Ragasol
    Participant

And I’ve just noticed I had also lost the “Source” field, a third one! It had escaped my attention, because it’s not as essential as the “Domaine” field.

New problem and mystery, now: the “Source” field is absent from the list of retrievable items, as though it had never existed…

June 26, 2024 at 12:28 AM #50844

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m glad you were able to recover the fields.

I’m not sure about your Source field though.

Did you ever export a Tap Forms Archive or a Tap Forms Form template (.tff) file? If so, you can import that into your document and Tap Forms will re-create those for you.

June 26, 2024 at 9:51 AM #50848

Olivier Ragasol
    Participant

No, unfortunately, if I did any exports, it was too long ago, too many changes have occurred since then.

Let’s be philosophical: I was never going to save a search on the Source field, anyway, and all the quotes in the Definition field are always sourced. So off with the Source field…

And a big thanks again for the rescue!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.