From Tap Forms to JSON

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

JScottA
    Participant

I realize I can export Tap Forms records into CSV or Excel formatted files then convert those to JSON. Is there any way to go right from Tap Forms to JSON without the middleware?

July 11, 2024 at 8:00 PM #50924

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi James,

When you export a Tap Forms Archive, the .tfarc file is just a zip file with a .tfarc file extension. Inside that zip file is a data.json file.

But it’s probably in a format that will be difficult to manage because it’s designed to import back into Tap Forms. But technically you could parse the data.json file and reconstruct your data in a different format if you like.

Are you wanting to import your Tap Forms data into another app?

July 11, 2024 at 11:57 PM #50925

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Another option is to use the Javascript API to create a JSON record. You can use the clipboard to exchange data with another application. Writing to a file is not supported by the Javascript API. If you have an URL listener, than that would be an option too.

I have a simple example script to copy a record to another Tap Forms document: https://lab.danielleu.com/blog/copying-record-data-between-documents/. This can be extended to copy all records instead of just one.

July 12, 2024 at 6:18 AM #50926

JScottA
    Participant

Thanks for the quick responses. Forgive me but I’m still on using TF5 for RAG. I was looking for a way to painlessly create and manage data (TF5) and then quickly and easily generate JSON for easier consumption by the GPT. I can get the job done by exporting records to CSV and then using another application to generate JSON from the CSV. However, I strive for simplicity and having an export option to JSON would have been ideal. It would make it easier to recommend TF5 to clients.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.