synch, relationships, request

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

David Gilbert
    Participant

Thank you for this useful, easy to use, and fun application. Some questions and a comment.

1. Synching (via Dropbox, which I have done) allows you to put a copy of your forms on your iPad. It does not mean when you update one place it automatically updates everywhere? You should only edit on the Mac version and then “upload” it to your iPad? Correct?

2. If someone buys Tap Forms for iPad, can I put my synch file in a shared folder on Dropbox so they can synch or view my forms on their iPad?

3. I have a database of 3000 musical works on CD; some CDs have multiple works so sometimes there are multiple entries for the same CD. To save space, I would like to make a child form of Label Numbers and CD Images and link the same image to multiple records in the CD database via the Label Number field. I assume this is better than having the same image in the parent CD database multiple times. But it looks like this is not the way Tap Forms handles either relationships or the appearance of fields in linked forms?

4. I read the discussion about iPad Layouts, and it would be good to be able to choose which layout you see on the iPad, even if you can’t edit them there.

Thanks!
    David

May 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM #13822

Leo
    Participant

Hi David,

1. Synching (via Dropbox, which I have done) allows you to put a copy of your forms on your iPad. It does not mean when you update one place it automatically updates everywhere? You should only edit on the Mac version and then “upload” it to your iPad? Correct?

No, you can edit your forms on iPad or iPhone too. Initiate a sync by pulling the forms on the main view and there synced to your MAC and other devices. You must turn on sync on dropbox on :-)

2. If someone buys Tap Forms for iPad, can I put my synch file in a shared folder on Dropbox so they can synch or view my forms on their iPad?

No, they must have acces to the correct folder on your drnopboxaccount. You can always have a separate dropboxaccount for this purpose.

3. I have a database of 3000 musical works on CD; some CDs have multiple works so sometimes there are multiple entries for the same CD. To save space, I would like to make a child form of Label Numbers and CD Images and link the same image to multiple records in the CD database via the Label Number field. I assume this is better than having the same image in the parent CD database multiple times. But it looks like this is not the way Tap Forms handles either relationships or the appearance of fields in linked forms?

You can do this by a Many to many relationship.

4. I read the discussion about iPad Layouts, and it would be good to be able to choose which layout you see on the iPad, even if you can’t edit them there.

Maybe later, I would like them too

Leo

May 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM #13826

David Gilbert
    Participant

Thanks Leo.

The synching is a bit obtuse. I keep waiting all afternoon for the iPad to catch up to the Mac version, but nothing is happening, even after I click the Upload to Cloud on the Mac. What the iPad version needs is a Download from Cloud button because automatically it ain’t happening. What I’m afraid is that the iPad verison will overwrite the Mac version, which I definitely do not want.

Also, I don’t think Tap Forms will do what I want (yet?) as far as the relationships goes. Can you create related fields between two forms that do not appear in a list? Van choose the related fields you want and place them on a layout? Images don’t really work in the default layout list.

David

May 26, 2015 at 8:23 AM #13832

Leo
    Participant

As far as the syncing: just be patient, it will happen, depending on the size of the database. It first need to upload the whole file and additional photo’s / documents.

Don’t worry about overwriting from the iPad to the Mac. Everything will synchronize depending on a timestamp.

The question about the related fields, I have to disappoint you… What you want is not possible (yet?)
    I would like that too. Now I use the table to fill in the separate fields in the child to use the further in a custom layout. (double input, but it works for me)

Leo

May 27, 2015 at 2:42 AM #13841

Gilles Libert
    Participant

1+ for linking fields…

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.