problems with backup and restore

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Vaughan
    Participant

Hello

I use version 4.0 (278) IPhone 5 IOS 8.3

I uploaded a backup to dropbox in Jan and it was 254mb in size In march the same backup was 38mb.

I did not realise but all of the photos were not backed up (which I assume is why the file was so much smaller) When I restored a backup in march I lost all of the attached photos.

I thought the best thing to do was restore the backup from January and then add the other data manually. The problem is I can’t download the backup from Janaury.

If I have a backup on my phone the dropbox download goes through the process of downloading the file by displaying a progress bar etc then when it is complete I have 2 files with exactly the same name (one which was already on the phone and the new file which has the same name.) If I close tapforms and then open it up again there is only one file.

If I delete the single file and try to download the backup from dropbox (with the idea that it won’t keep the same name) it won’t download the backup.

The second problem I have relates to the format of a data cell changing from text to number so when I use the pick list it won’t accept the content. If I change the format back to text and save then I loose all of the content. As a work around I have to export, change the cells to text then import the content back in.

Surely there is a better way than this and how was it possible for the data cell format to change from text to number

hope someone can help

Regards

Vaughan

May 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM #13837

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Vaughan,

Once Apple reviews and approves version 4.0.1 for iPhone, the backup issue with the same name should disappear. As for the photos not being backed up, it could be that iCloud sync had been disabled at the time you made the backup and Tap Forms did not backup the photos that were in iCloud because it thought iCloud was turned off. Check your Sync Settings to make sure that iCloud is selected as the Sync Service and that sync is enabled. The backup function uses this information to determine where to look for any photos to include in the backup file.

As for the switching of field types, I’ve made some changes in 4.0.1 which should improve this also. Tap Forms will now retain the data if you switch field types without you having to export and import again. But it might not make any sense in some cases though if you switch from Text to Number and the data doesn’t contain any numeric information.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 26, 2015 at 1:57 PM #13839

Vaughan
    Participant

Many thanks for the update. Sync is on now but it may have been off at the time. I will look out for next release

Vaughan

May 31, 2015 at 12:22 AM #13894

Vaughan
    Participant

Hi Brendan
    The update has not resolved the backup and restore issue.

If I download a backup the file name is not duplicated as before but it does not display the file you have downloaded.

If you delete the original backup so there are no backups on my iPhone then it will not download the backup file.

is there any other way of getting the photos back into tapforms

May 31, 2015 at 11:52 AM #13895

Brendan
    Keymaster

What’s the name of your backup file? That may be an issue. Tap Forms will filter out any files on the Backup & Restore screen that don’t start with “TF-” and end with “.zip”.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 1, 2015 at 12:37 AM #13899

Vaughan
    Participant

TF-Vaughan’s iPhone-2015-01-31T21-16-25 (1).zip

June 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM #13941

Vaughan
    Participant

Hi Brendan

any further thoughts on how to overcome this problem

June 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM #13944

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Vaughan,

Have you updated to version 4.0.1? I just tried downloading a backup file from Dropbox with version 4.0.1 and it worked fine. I even deleted all my local backups so the list was empty, then downloaded a new backup file and it showed up. Same with a second and third backup file I downloaded.

So I’m not really sure why your’s aren’t showing up after you download the files from Dropbox.

If you use iTunes File Sharing, can you get the backup files into the Tap Forms Documents area ok?

June 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM #13947

Vaughan
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I have upgraded to 4.0.1

If I delete all backups from iPhone then create a new backup it uploads to dropbox.

If I download the backup it downloads ok

If I delete the backup from the iPhone then try to download the backup from dropbox it appears to download in a few seconds

If I then delete the backup from the iPhone and then try to download the old backup from dropbox it won’t download. It is 250mb if that causes any issues

How do you copy the photos to the phone using file share
    There a 4 folders one is called photos. If I try and drop the photos from the backup they copy to the root directory. If I click the photos folder then click add file it puts the photos into the root direct

Sureley that can’t be right. What I am doing wrong ?

Vaughan

edit :

sussed it you copy the folder and not the files

June 5, 2015 at 11:50 PM #13950

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Vaughan,

If you get the TF…zip file to show up in the Backup & Restore screen, just restore from that backup. The photos that are embedded in the backup file will be put into the right place. Unfortunately iTunes File Sharing does not allow you to open up the folder within there or to add any files inside of the folders. That’s why you have to restore from the backup file. All Tap Forms is doing is unzipping the backup file and putting the contents into the right folders for you.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.