New Form like another

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Glen Forister
    Participant

I wanted to start a new form very similar to another previous form.  I thought the template would do that.  But when I save the template on form 1 and try to import that into the new empty form 2, nothing happens.

Can I copy the structure of a form from one file into another new empty file?

M1 pro, Sonoma 14.5.

July 21, 2024 at 6:27 PM #50945

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Glen,

Use the Export Form Template command to save a .tff file. Then switch to your new document and use the Import Form Template command to import it into the other document.

If you import the form template back into the same document from whence it came, you won’t notice any changes, since Tap Forms will just update the existing form with the contents of the .tff file. But since that’s the same, nothing would appear to change.

If you want a copy of the same form in the same document, use the Duplicate Form function.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 21, 2024 at 6:35 PM #50946

Glen Forister
    Participant

I did what you suggested several times.
    “Use the Export Form Template command to save a .tff file. Then switch to your new document and use the Import Form Template command to import it into the other document.”

The result was while in new form I used import template when I clicked on the exported .tff file, it jumped to the original form and imported it into that one and not the new one.

That confused me so I thought I didn’t understand it.  I do understand it, but it was misbehaving.

Just did it again.  From importing the .tff and I click the file and ok to import, it jumps to the old original form.

I think I have a bug…

July 21, 2024 at 9:40 PM #50947

Brendan
    Keymaster

So make a brand new document with NO forms in it.

Then import your .tff file and see what happens.

It shouldn’t import into your previous document which was the source of the form.

July 22, 2024 at 8:43 AM #50949

Glen Forister
    Participant

Like I said in the beginning:
    “I wanted to start a new form very similar to another previous form. I thought the template would do that. But when I save the template on form 1 and try to import that into the new empty form 2, nothing happens.”

I deleted the new form.  I created a new form (this time I didn’t even rename it for my purpose).

Then I followed your directions.  I end up in my old form after it imports the template into that, not the new form.  BUG.

July 22, 2024 at 11:10 AM #50950

tonyt
    Participant

For what it is worth….

Is there a confusion between ‘form’ and ‘document’?

a form is a single database.
    a document is the holder that can contain many databases or forms

The filename refers to the document and all the associated databases / forms that are in it.

July 22, 2024 at 11:22 AM #50951

Glen Forister
    Participant

Yes.  Sorry, I don’t use different documents.  All my forms are in one document.

I’ll try the duplicate document function.

That worked.  Sorry for my confusion.

July 23, 2024 at 12:17 AM #50952

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m glad creating a new document worked.

Yes, a document can contain one or more forms. You can have as many documents as you like. Just like you can have as many Word, Pages, Excel, Keynote, etc. documents on your hard drive, so can you have as many Tap Forms documents on your hard drive. It’s the same concept. Like in a Pages or Word document, you can have as many pages as you like, in Tap Forms you can have as many forms as you like in that document.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.