memory problem on iPhone 5

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Vaughan
    Participant

Hi Brendan

my iphone 5 IOS 9 only has 16gb of memory so I am constantly cleaning out old info. Since the most recent update I noticed that tapforms is showing as 770mb which is approx double what it used to be.

I assumed I had a backup which had not been deleted but this wasn’t the case

I have accessed the data via itunes and the database is 72.4 mb photos 269.4 mb inbox 48 kb

my last backup was 347.4 mb

any ideas where the hidden data is or why tapfoms is double the size it should be

regards

Vaughan

December 22, 2015 at 9:26 PM #15514

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Vaughan,

Do you use Dropbox or iCloud for syncing?

Dropbox caches files in a separate directory from where Tap Forms stores them. So this could be consuming the extra space. Another possibility is that when you enable iCloud sync, Tap Forms copies the files from the Photos folder in its Documents folder over to the iCloud folder so that iCloud Drive can sync the files. You can see the Photos folder using iTunes File Sharing.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 23, 2015 at 11:05 AM #15515

Vaughan
    Participant

i do use Dropbox and icloud to copy backups but do not sync as it moved the photos off my device last time i did it

I hav looked in file share and can’t see an icloud drive folder so assume it’s not there

what if I backup then delete the app and then restore the backup do you think that might work ?

December 23, 2015 at 12:47 PM #15516

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Vaughan,

Sure, you could give that a go.

But also if you’re not using iCloud for syncing Tap Forms, then you can go to the Manage Storage area of the iCloud system preferences panel on your Mac and then click on the Delete Documents & Data button for Tap Forms. That’ll make sure that there’s no storage being consumed in iCloud. And iCloud does maintain a copy of the files that are in iCloud on your local device, so that could be causing local storage to be used up.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM #15517

Vaughan
    Participant

I am using windows pc and not a mac

I also looked at some of the photo sizes using an app called ibrowse and they are quite big. I think i added them before you added the option to define image sizes in the options.

If I go back to the settings and set the image size will it resize existing iamges or only new image sizes as they are added

December 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM #15518

Vaughan
    Participant

well deleting and restoring seems to have sorted it

December 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM #15519

Vaughan
    Participant

might have sussed it

when you copy a backup via itunes to the iphone then restore the backup via the app it creates an uncompressed folder which you can see in itunes however once the files have been copied to the app the uncompressed folders and files are not deleted which means the app looks larger than it actually is.

I have a new problem
    I unzipped a backup on my pc and resized all the images then zipped them back up using winzip however when I try to restore the zipped up files tapforms sees the file, runs through the restore process however it does not make any changes to the files in the app

Vaughan

December 23, 2015 at 11:07 PM #15520

Brendan
    Keymaster

Did you zip the folder itself again or did you zip the contents of the folder? If you zipped the backup folder then you need to re-zip only the contents of the folder, not the folder itself.

December 24, 2015 at 6:22 AM #15521

Vaughan
    Participant

I zipped the contents of the folder

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.