Importing with DropBox

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

fmrtao
    Participant

I have just acquired Tap Forms and am very keen to import some csv files as I am hoping (I do hope not in vain!) that my iPhone can replace my trusty old Psion 5, the inbuilt database of which was perfect for my needs but which is now on it’s last legs due to a strange power issue. I have backed up all my data on the Psion and my most important database has been converted to csv format. I have used DropBox to get the csv file onto my iPhone and into Tap Forms. Am I on the right track so far? The problem is then when I tried to open the imported file in Tap Forms I just got a white screen and now whenever I reopen Tap Forms I just get the same white screen. I can’t do anything! Help! Where have a I gone wrong? Should I be able to import my csv file using DropBox and is it simply a matter of going to the Import folder and opening the file? Thanks. Frank

September 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM #4189

fmrtao
    Participant

Doh! I worked out where I was going wrong with the white screen. I also found that using Atomatic setting for file encoding was the best method. I have now successfully imported my database and am getting the hang of whether and how I need to alter the file before importing it again. A few early observations. First, only three sort-by categories is rather limiting. Secondly, a help manual would be really useful. Thirdly, I am daring to hope that I might at last have found a convenient replacement for my trusty Psion database! Thanks so far! Frank

September 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM #4210

sunshine
    Participant

Will it be possible to upload a backup file directly to dropbox in a future version? Bit of a pain having to use email and a manual file transfer to get stuff there…

Many thanks

September 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM #4211

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can upload any files that are in the Files tab to Dropbox by tapping the blue circle arrow button to the right of the file name. I would like to eventually add Dropbox support to the full backup system though. But for now you can generate a CSV export file, then upload it to your Dropbox account.

Thanks,

October 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM #4231

raullomi
    Participant

Hi,

But the function is planned to include direct backup dropbox?

Thanks

October 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM #4232

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Raullomi,

I would like to add full backups to Dropbox, but the files can get pretty big depending on how many rows you have in the database. I’ve seen Tap Forms database files over 100 MB. That might take a long time to backup to Dropbox. But we’ll see.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM #4235

raullomi
    Participant

Hi Brendam,

For me it would be perfect. I have several databases of small size, but with changes “consistent and I like to have him backup.

Choice, with a warning to an oversized bds would be nice. In this way users do not limit yourself to small bds

Thanks

Raullomi

October 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM #4239

sunshine
    Participant

I agree. I run about ten forms and having to do individual exports and transfers for each one is a pain. I’d love to be able to tap once and leave the app to dump all my data to Dropbox…

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.