Dropbox synch

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

David Gilbert
    Participant

I know there is a long thread about this, which I read. I like Tap Forms a lot so far, but this is frustrating.

I got my form onto my iPad last week. I made changes on my Mac on Sunday. I synched it up to Dropbox. The file in Dropbox Apps is dated 5/25 at 2:20 PM. I see on my iPad under Registered Devices my iMac and my iPad. Under the iMac it says last synched May 25 at 2:20. Under iPad it says Last Synched: but no time or date.

How do I get iPad to update the file to the latest version from Sunday? Sometimes the iPad does look like it’s synching. It’s counting down rows at the top of the screen (does that indeed indicates it’s synching?) but I still end up with the old version.

What actually initiates the synch; how do you get it to do so? Do you restart the App, restart your iPad, turn synch off and on, shake it hard? There are buttons that say Synch UP to Dropbox. Is there a button somewhere that says Synch DOWN from Dropbox?

When I turn Synch Off on the iPad I get a message asking me what I want to do with the local file. I don’t want the local file at all, I want the one in Dropbox, so I say, keep local file.

I turn Synch back on. It says turning synch on will move all of my files to the Cloud. I don’t want to move my file to the cloud, I want what’s already there.

Thanks,
    David

May 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM #13865

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi David,

The iPad’s Last Sync Date will be updated whenever you press the upload to cloud button on the iPad. So if you’re not seeing it updated it’s because you haven’t pressed the upload button on your iPad.

When you see those rows counting down on your iPad, then that means it’s syncing data from your Mac that you had previously uploaded to Dropbox.

There’s no download button because the data may not be in Dropbox yet from your Mac. Although I’ve found Dropbox syncing to be much faster than iCloud syncing in that respect though. Are you allowing the sync process to complete before exiting the app? That is, does it eventually say “Sync Done” after those rows finish counting down?

Whenever you reset sync or turn off sync and then start it again, it has to do the whole process over again. If you just leave it on and press upload on the device you’ve made changes to you will be sending over just the changes that have been made since the last time you pressed the upload button without having to send the entire database over again. So subsequent syncs will be quicker than the initial sync.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 28, 2015 at 5:41 PM #13882

David Gilbert
    Participant

Thank you Brendan. I sent you an email to support@tapforms.com because things have gotten more complicated.

David

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.