About linking forms and calculation field

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms About linking forms and calculation field

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Fabrice
    Participant

Hello there fine people of Tap Forms. After a long time of reflection and investigation, I finally decided to go for it and I got Tap Forms for my mac. I’ve just been busy with it for an hour or two, but I managed to get a working form already. The first form I created is for my long dream to ever be able to have an app that would catalogue my video games (and there is quite a collection of those).

So first thing I did, was to design the part 1 of my project. In about an hour, I had a running form, and populating it was very straightfoward. So now I do have a working form (flat file for the moment), that has various information about the game, and also has a field that contains the price I paid for that specific game.

So far so good. It’s all working as intended, and I absolutely love the ease of use. But now, I do meet some questions.

Ideally, and that’s why I never found any software at all that offers this option, was to take the DLC’s of video games into consideration. After having read the documentation, I think I should create another form, to handle the DLC and link those two tables together. I do believe I do need a one to many relationship, since one game can have multiple DLC, and one DLC always only refer to one game. Based on the documentation, once that’s done, I would be able to add a sort of a table in the form with the game, so that whenever I do access one record, I would also see all the DLC’s that are linked to that one game. Exactly what I want as well.

But, and here is the catch. One game has a price field. Which is normal. That’s the price I paid for the base game. Over time, DLC’s are added, which I also have to buy. So, to do that, I would also have a price field inside the DLC table, so that each DLC has its own price annotated. But what I would like to do, is to calculate a field with the price of the game + all of its DLC, to really know the total price of a game. I’ve searched the documentation, but I’m not sure having seen how to be able to do that.

Is that possible, and if yes how ?

Many thanks

July 5, 2024 at 7:40 PM #50887

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Fabrice,

Yes, you’ll need 2 forms. Add your DLC form and set the Link Type to One to Many on your Link to Form Field.

Then, to get the total of all the DLC, add a Calculation field to your parent form. Edit the formula for the Calculation field and double-click on the Price field of your DLC Link to Form field. it will show up on the left under the list of fields. Tap Forms will then insert a formula with the Total for that field you double-clicked on.

You can then add the Price field on your parent field to that formula too. So now you’ll have the original price plus the price of all the DLC records for that game.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 6, 2024 at 12:47 AM #50889

Fabrice
    Participant

Excellent. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciated. And yes, it does makes sense :)

July 6, 2024 at 11:48 AM #50890

Fabrice
    Participant

Hey again Brendan,

I just finished creating that second form. I followed the manual for the linking (I have to say, it’s so difficult for me to do simple things. I was searching everywhere how I should make the primary key, where it’s done automatically. So fantastic job in making things so easy).

Once done, I followed your post and everything works now as intended (Yay ! I’m so excited it does work, now I finally have a solution to not only deal with my extensive list of video games (18 000+), but I can also finally evaluate the real cost of a game with all its DLC listed.

That’s fantastic and no regrets in my choice to go for Tap Forms ! Thank you so much !

Edit : I would like to give back to you as a thank you a small change your could bring to the application. Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s very easy to do, just a field to edit at best I think. There is an annoying (to me it is annoying) translation in the field description for the French language. I guess it would be “Important Date” in the English version, but in French it’s been translated as “The important date”. That’s confusing to me for a field description. So the suggestion would be to change “La date importante” into “Date importante”

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Fabrice.
    July 7, 2024 at 3:59 PM #50898

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can rename the fields in your forms if you like. My apologies for the awkward translation.

July 10, 2024 at 10:28 AM #50918

Fabrice
    Participant

Oh I know, it’s what I do. I just thought I would let you know. And no need to apologize. If it’s not your native language, it’s almost impossible to find out. No worries at all

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.